Dates: January 1 - December 31, 2018
- Any book from the mystery/suspense/thriller/crime genres qualifies. Any sub-genres are welcome as long as they incorporate one of those genres.
- A blog isn't necessary to participate, but you do need a place to post your reviews to link up. (A blog, Goodreads, booklikes, etc.)
- Sign-up until April 15, 2018. Post your goal for the challenge and link it back to the sign-up page.
- Books should be novellas or novels (no short stories), and should be over 100 pages.
- Books can crossover with other challenges.
- There will be a monthly link up to check your progress and show everyone your reviews. At the halfway mark and at the end there will be a giveaway for those participating.
- If you tweet about your progress or reviews, use the hashtag #CloakDaggerChal so others can find it.
- Amateur sleuth (5-15 books)
- Detective (16-25 books)
- Inspector (26-35 books)
- Special agent (36-55 books)
- Sherlock Holmes (56+ books)
I'm signing up at the "Amateur Sleuth" level, and will try for 15 books.
See my original post about the challenge HERE.
See the challenge announcement/signup page HERE.
See the review linkups: JAN, FEB, MAR, APR, MAY, JUN, JUL, AUG, SEP, OCT, NOV, DEC.
See my challenge wrap-up post HERE.
MY READING LIST (books I've read, with links to reviews):
1. Intruder in the Dark (Chief Inspector Littlejohn #43). George Bellairs (1966; police procedural)
2. A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple #5). Agatha Christie (1950; mystery)
3. Vintage Murder (Roderick Alleyn #5). Ngaio Marsh (1937; police procedural)
4. My Sister's Bones. Nuala Ellwood (2017; psychological thriller)
5. Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas #1). Jo Dereske (1994; cozy mystery, amateur sleuth)
6. Coffin, Scarcely Used (Flaxborough Mysteries #1). Colin Watson (1958; police procedural)
7. Holmes Entangled. Gordon McAlpine (2018; mystery; historical mystery)
8. Give the Boys a Great Big Hand (87th Precinct #11). Ed McBain (1960; police procedural)
9. Murder in the Meadow (DI Hillary Greene #7). Faith Martin (2008; police procedural; originally published as Beside a Narrow Stream)
10. Tailspin. Sandra Brown (2018; romantic suspense; thriller)
11. The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot #6). Agatha Christie (1928; mystery)
12. A Long Time Coming. Aaron Elkins (2018; mystery; art-related)
13. Last Song Sung (Cullen & Cobb #3). David A. Poulsen (2018; mystery; private investigator)
14. Call for the Dead (George Smiley #1). John le Carré (1961; mystery/espionage)
15. A Morbid Taste for Bones (Brother Cadfael #1). Ellis Peters (1977; mystery; historical mystery)
POSSIBILITIES (books I'd like to knock off my TBR pile):
- The Book of the Dead (Pendergast #7). Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
- The Bookwoman's Last Fling (Cliff Janeway #5). John Dunning
- The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast #3). Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
- The Case of the Gilded Fly (Gervase Fen #1). Edmund Crispin
- Cast, in Order of Disappearance (Charles Paris #1). Simon Brett
- Cutwork (Needlecraft Mysteries #7). Monica Ferris
- Death at the President's Lodging (Sir John Appleby #1). Michael Innes
- Death in Disguise (Inspector Barnaby #3). Caroline Graham
- Death is a Word (Sheila Malory #21). Hazel Holt
- Death of a Hollow Man (Inspector Barnaby #2). Caroline Graham
- Dumb Witness (Hercule Poirot #16). Agatha Christie
- Faithful Unto Death (Inspector Barnaby #5). Caroline Graham
- Final Curtain (Roderick Alleyn #14). Ngaio Marsh
- Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey #7). Dorothy L. Sayers
- Framed in Lace (Needlecraft Mysteries #2). Monica Ferris
- Gallows View (Inspector Alan Banks #1). Peter Robinson
- Hanging By a Thread (Needlecraft Mysteries #6). Monica Ferris
- In the Best Families (Nero Wolfe #13). Rex Stout
Last Bus to Woodstock (Inspector Morris #1). Colin Dexter Last Seen Wearing (Inspector Morris #2). Colin Dexter
- The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe #2). Rex Stout
- Let the Devil Sleep (Dave Gurney #3). John Verdon
- The Little Sister (Philip Marlow #5). Raymond Chandler
- Los Alamos. Joseph Kanon
- The Man in the Queue (Inspector Alan Grant #1). Josephine Tey
- The Man Who Died Laughing (Stewart Hoag #1). David Handler
Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas #1). Jo Dereske
- The Moving Finger (Miss Marple #4). Agatha Christie
- Mrs. Malory and a Death in the Family (Sheila Malory #17). Hazel Holt
- Mrs. Malory and a Necessary End (Sheila Malory #20). Hazel Holt
- Murder Must Advertise (Lord Peter Wimsey #10). Dorothy L. Sayers
- The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot #2). Agatha Christie
- Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy #5). Rita Mae Brown
- Murder with Mirrors (Miss Marple #8). Agatha Christie
The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot #6). Agatha Christie
- Nemesis (Miss Marple #12). Agatha Christie
The Night She Died (Inspector Thanet #1). Dorothy Simpson
- Origin (Robert Langdon #5). Dan Brown
- Pay Dirt (Mrs. Murphy #4). Rita Mae Brown
- Reliquary (Pendergast #2). Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
- Say It with Poison (Mitchell & Markby #1). Ann Granger
- The Second Confession (Nero Wolfe #12). Rex Stout
- The Sign of the Book (Cliff Janeway #4). John Dunning
- The Singing Sands (Inspector Alan Grant #6). Josephine Tey
- Still Life (Chief Inspector Gamache #1). Louise Penny
- Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd (Flavia de Luce #8). Alan Bradley
- Too Many Clients (Nero Wolfe #23). Rex Stout
- The Wheel of Darkness (Pendergast #8). Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
When You Reach Me. Rebecca Stead