***Challenge Complete. See my wrap-up post HERE.***
Hosted by: Kathryn T @ Book Date
Dates: January 1 - December 31, 2015 (sign-ups are open until mid-October)
Kathryn T. is hosting this reading challenge for readers who enjoy women's fiction. As she defines it, women's fiction is "mainly written for women (although that doesn't stop men reading them)." It "may contain elements of romance but the book mainly centres around the development of women or a woman throughout the book. Women centered books, that might focus on the issues relating to women, it may be a mainstream novel, slightly less or slightly more."
But she also says that each challenge participant should define the term for herself (or himself), and use that as a guide. She includes a definition from the Romance Writers of America organization that says women's fiction is:
"...about a woman on the brink of life change and personal growth. Her journey details emotional reflection and action that transforms her and her relationships with others, and includes a hopeful/upbeat ending with regard to her romantic relationship."...and I think I can pretty much go along with that, except for the part about the hopeful/upbeat ending -- personally, I don't think that's an absolute requirement (nice, but not necessary). I've read plenty of books that I'd label as "women's fiction" that had more ambiguous endings, as well as some that didn't involve actual romantic relationships at all. So, I guess my definition will be a little broader than most.
- Crossovers with other challenges are OK.
- All formats are allowed.
- Blogs are not required (you can set up a GoodReads shelf for the challenge, if you prefer)
- Motivated = 1-5 books
- Savvy = 6-10 books
- Classy = 11-20 books
- Go-getter = 20-30 books
- Fearless = 30+ books
I'm signing up at the first ("Motivated") level, and hope to read more than one book.
● See my original post about the challenge HERE.
● See the challenge announcement page HERE.
● See the link for January-June reviews HERE.
● See the link for July-December reviews HERE.
● See my challenge wrap-up post HERE.
MY READING LIST (book I've read, with links to reviews):
- The Anger Meridian. Kaylie Jones
- What We Keep. Elizabeth Berg
- All Passion Spent. Vita Sackville-West
- The Debut. Anita Brookner
- Dreams of Joy. Lisa See
- The Elm Creek Quilters series, by Jennifer Chiaverini
- The Evolution of Jane. Catherine Schine
- Leaving Home. Anita Brookner
- Lolly Willowes. Sylvia Townsend Warner
- Nora Webster. Colm Toibin
- The Pull of the Moon. Elizabeth Berg
- The Radiant Way. Margaret Drabble
- The Rector's Daughter. F.M. Mayor
- The Road to Lichfield. Penelope Lively
- Sarah's Key. Tatiana de Rosnay
- The Seven Sisters. Margaret Drabble
- Shanghai Girls. Lisa See
- Still Life with Bread Crumbs. Anna Quindlen
- The Summerhouse. Jude Deveraux
- Tapestry of Fortunes. Elizabeth Berg
- Visitors. Anita Brookner
- The Weight of Water. Anita Shreve
- What We Keep. Elizabeth Berg
- While I Was Gone. Sue Miller
- A Wreath of Roses. Elizabeth Taylor