Dates: September 1 through October 31, 2012
Hosted by: Carl V. at Stainless Steel Droppings
✸ There are several different levels of participation:
- Peril the First: Read four books of any length, from any subgenre you choose.
- Peril the Second: Read two books of any length, from any subgenre you choose.
- Peril the Third: Read one book of any length, from any subgenre you choose.
- Peril of the Short Story: An extra option, for those who want to read shorter works.
- Peril on the Screen: Another extra option, for those who like to watch scary or suspenseful fare on the large or small screen.
- Peril of the Group Read: A third extra -- there will be several group reads during the challenge. See announcement page for info.
- Dark Fantasy
See the Challenge announcement page here.
See the Challenge review page here.
See my Challenge wrap-up post here.
I signed up at the Peril the Second level (two books), but hope to do much better than that; and I'll be combining that with Peril on the Screen.
MY BOOK LIST (books read):
- The Little Stranger. Sarah Waters
- Mrs. Malory and No Cure For Death. Hazel Holt
- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Stieg Larsson
- Lost Boy Lost Girl. Peter Straub
- The Nursing Home Murder. Ngaio Marsh
MY SCREEN PERIL LIST (movies/TV shows watched, with links to any reviews):
- Waking the Dead: A Simple Sacrifice (TV Series; 2000)
- Waking the Dead: Every Breath You Take (TV Series; 2000)
- Waking the Dead: Death Watch (TV Series; 2002)
- Waking the Dead: Life Sentence (TV Series; 2002)
- Wallander: The Dogs of Riga (TV series; 2012)
- Wallander: An Event in Autumn (TV series; 2012)
- Wallander: Before the Frost (TV series; 2012)
- 10 Rillington Place (film; 1971; directed by Richard Fleischer)
- 23 Paces to Baker Street (film; 1956; directed by Henry Hathaway)
- Black Swan (film; 2010; directed by Darren Aronofsky)
- The Eclipse (film; 2009; directed by Conor McPherson)
- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (film; 2011; directed by David Fincher)
- The Haunting (film; 1963; directed by Robert Wise)
- The Horror of Dracula (film; 1958; directed by Terence Fisher)
- Mark of the Vampire (film; 1935; directed by Tod Browning)
- The Mummy (film; 1932; directed by Karl Freund)
- Mystery of the Wax Museum (film; 1933; directed by Michael Curtiz)
- Phantoms (film; 1998; directed by Joe Chappelle)
- Shutter (film; 2008; directed by Masayuki Ochiai)
- The Town That Dreaded Sundown (film; 1976; directed by Charles B. Pierce)
- The Uninvited (film; 1944; directed by Lewis Allen)
- Vampyr (Not Against the Flesh) (film; 1932; directed by Karl Theodor Dreyer)