Dates: 21 March - 19 June, 2012
- Readings should come from these four genres: fantasy, fairy tale, folklore and mythology.
- Participants can choose one or more of the following levels (or Quests).
- The Journey - Read at least one book from any of the four genres. No need to commit to any set number of books.
- Quest the First - Read at least 5 books that fit somewhere within the Once Upon a Time III criteria. They might all be fantasy, or folklore, or fairy tales, or mythology…or your five books might be a combination from the four genres.
- Quest the Second - Read at least one book from each of the four categories. In this quest you will be reading 4 books total: one fantasy, one folklore, one fairy tale, and one mythology.
- Quest the Third - Fulfill the requirements for Quest the First or Quest the Second AND top it off with a June reading of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream OR a viewing of one of the many theatrical versions of the play.
- Short Story Quest - This quest involves the reading of one or more short stories that fit within at least one of the four genres during the course of the weekend. Ideally you would post about your short story readings on Sundays or Mondays, but this is not strictly necessary.
- Quest on the Screen - To participate in this quest simply let the other participants know about the films and/or television shows that you feel fit into the definitions of fantasy, fairy tales, folklore or mythology that you are enjoying during the challenge.
See my original post about the challenge here.
See the challenge announcement/sign-up page here.
See the challenge review page here.
See the page with all the links to wrap-ups here.
See my challenge wrap-up post here.
MY READING LIST (books read; with links to reviews):
- Seven-Day Magic. Edward Eager (Fantasy)
LIST OF POSSIBLE CHOICES:
The 13 Clocks. James Thurber
The Bells at Sealey Head. Patricia A. McKillip
The Book of Lost Things. John Connolly
The Castle of Llyr. Lloyd Alexander
The City of Dreaming Books. Walter Moers
The Crystal Cave. Mary Stewart
The Eyre Affair. Jasper Fforde
The Fairy-Tale Detectives (Sisters Grimm #1). Michael Buckley
Five Children and It. E. Nesbit
Inkheart. Cornelia Funke
The Magic of Finkleton. K.C. Hilton
Magic or Not? Edward Eager
Mistress Masham's Repose. T.H. White
The Mists of Avalon. Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Moon of Gomrath: A Tale of Alderley. Alan Garner
The Phantom Tollbooth. Norton Juster
Photographing Fairies. Steve Szilagyi
The Prince of Mist. Carlos Ruiz Zafon
The Princess and the Goblin. George MacDonald
The Red Pyramid. Rick Riordan
Silver on the Tree. Susan Cooper
Stuart Little. E.B. White
The Trumpet of the Swan. E.B. White
The Well-Wishers. Edward Eager
The Wind in the Willows. Kenneth Grahame
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. L. Frank Baum
Post a Comment