Hosted by: Laura's Reviews
Dates: 1 January - 31 December, 2012
Guidelines (quoted from the announcement/sign-up page):
"For the Victorian Challenge, we will focus on the reign of Queen Victoria from 1837 to 1901. We will count books that were written by Victorian authors during this time period, books set during the Victorian age, or books about a Victorian author, history, manners, architecture, Queen Victoria etc. Also besides reading books, short stories, audiobooks and movies will also be accepted. The sky is the limit; I would love to make this a true celebration of all things Victorian."
- The goal will be to read, watch, or listen to 2 to 6 (or more) Victorian items. Books, audiobooks, movies -- anything Victorian related is allowed.
- Reading, watching, or listening to a favorite Victorian related item again for the second, third, or more time is also allowed.
- Crossovers with other challenges are allowed.
- You can change your plans at any time during the challenge.
- You don't need a blog to participate.
- There will be a monthly link for reviews.
See the challenge announcement page here.
See my challenge wrap-up post here.
MY READING LIST (books, stories read):
- The Solitary House. Lynn Shepherd (novel set in the Victorian Era)
- The Warden. Anthony Trollope (written during the Victorian Era; first published 1855)
MY VIEWING LIST (movies/TV shows watched):
- The Prestige (2006; film; based on the novel by Christopher Priest)
- Queen Victoria's Empire (2001; PBS; 4-hour documentary series)
- My Brilliant Career (1979; film; based on the novel by Miles Franklin)
- Written during the Victorian Era
Barchester Towers. Anthony Trollope
Cranford. Elizabeth Gaskell
Jane Eyre. Charlotte Bronte
Lady Windermere's Fan. Oscar Wilde
The Lifted Veil. George Eliot
The Moonstone. Wilkie Collins
The Spoils of Poynton. Henry James
The Warden. Anthony Trollope
- Set in the Victorian Era
Affinity. Sarah Waters
Arthur and George. Julian Barnes
The Dante Club. Matthew Pearl
The Last Dickens. Matthew Pearl
The Prestige. Christopher Priest
- Nonfiction related to the Victorian Era
A Circle of Sisters: Alice Kipling, Georgiana Burne Jones, Agnes Poynter, and Louisa Baldwin. Judith Flanders
The Mystery of Lewis Carroll. Jenny Woolf
The Sisters of Sinai: How Two Lady Adventurers Discovered the Hidden Gospels. Janet Martin Soskice
Unquiet Souls. Angela Lambert
POSSIBLE FILMS/TV SHOWS:
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (TV series starring Jeremy Brett as Holmes)
The Age of Innocence (1993; film)
Little Dorrit (1988; film)
The Piano (1993; film)
Post a Comment