***Challenge not active***
Dates: This is a perpetual challenge, beginning in 2010
Hosted by: Tim (A Progressive on the Prairie)
- This challenge is based on Daniel Immerwahr's Books of the Century website.
- The challenge provides an opportunity to "combine some excellent and classic reading from the history of popular American reading."
- Given the number of books, this will be a perpetual challenge.
- Crossovers with other challenges are allowed.
- Popular Literary Culture 101 -- Five books from the entire list.
- Popular Literary Culture 201 -- Ten books from the entire list.
- Popular Literary Culture 301 -- One book from any of five different decades on the list.
- Popular Literary Culture 401 -- One book from each decade on the list.
- Master's in Popular Literary Culture -- Twenty books from the entire list, with at least each decade represented once.
- Doctorate in Popular Literary Culture -- Two or more books from each decade on the list.
See the challenge announcement page here.
See the challenge blog here.
See Daniel Immerwahr's Books of the Century website here.
I'm going to start off at the first level: Popular Literary Culture 101; so I'll be reading a total of five books from the list.
MY READING LIST:
- Contact. Carl Sagan (published 1985) [See Review]
- Animal Farm. George Orwell (published 1945) [Review to come]
- The Man in Lower Ten. Mary Roberts Rinehart (published 1906) [See Review]
List of Possibilities:
The Golden Bowl. Henry James
The House of Mirth. Edith Wharton
The Man in Lower Ten. Mary Roberts Rinehart
The Old Wives' Tale. Arnold Bennett
The Wings of the Dove. Henry James
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. L. Frank Baum
The Ambassadors. Henry James
The Magnificent Ambersons. Booth Tarkington
Swann's Way. Marcel Proust
The Window at the White Cat. Mary Roberts Rinehart
Winesburg, Ohio. Sherwood Anderson
Babbitt. Sinclair Lewis
The Bishop Murder Case. S.S. Van Dine
The Enchanted April. "Elizabeth"
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Anita Loos
Good-bye to All That. Robert Graves
The Greene Murder Case. S.S. Van Dine
The Hotel. Elizabeth Bowen
Jalna. Mazo de la Roche
The Magic Mountain. Thomas Mann
Main Street. Sinclair Lewis
Appointment in Samara. John O'Hara
The Big Sleep. Raymond Chandler
Call It Sleep. Henry Roth
Invitation to the Waltz. Rosamond Lehmann
Seven Gothic Tales. Isak Dinesen
Animal Farm. George Orwell
Father of the Bride. Edward Streeter
The Human Comedy. William Saroyan
Mistress Masham's Repose. T.H. White
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House. Eric Hodgins
Random Harvest. James Hilton
The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit. Sloan Wilson
Peyton Place. Grace Metalious
Portnoy's Complaint. Philip Roth
Rabbit, Run. John Updike
Angle of Repose. Wallace Stegner
The Best and the Brightest. David Halberstam
Captains and the Kings. Taylor Caldwell
Condominium. John D. MacDonald
The Day of the Jackal. Frederick Forsyth
The Dead Zone. Stephen King
Evergreen. Belva Plain
The Greek Treasure. Irving Stone
How to Save Your Own Life. Erica Jong
If on a winter's night a traveler. Italo Calvino
The Passions of the Mind. Irving Stone
Play It As It Lays. Joan Didion
Rabbit Redux. John Updike
Time and Again. Jack Finney
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. John Le Carre
Touch Not the Cat. Mary Stewart
Travels With My Aunt. Graham Greene
". . . And the Ladies of the Club." Helen Hooven Santmyer
The Bourne Identity. Robert Ludlum
Contact. Carl Sagan
Lake Wobegon Days. Garrison Keillor
The Parsifal Mosaic. Robert Ludlum
The Pillars of the Earth. Ken Follet
Texas. James A. Michener
The Celestine Prophecy. James Redfield
The Hours. Michael Cunningham
September. Rosamunde Pilcher
Post a Comment