Dates: January 1 - December 31, 2017
Hosted by: Julie @ Smiling Shelves
- Choose books from among Newbery Award winners and Honor Books; Caldecott Medal winners and Honor books.
- Rereads count.
- Audiobooks and e-books count.
- All books must be read between January 1, 2017, and December 31, 2017. Books begun before January 1 don’t count.
- Books can overlap with other challenges
- You don’t have to have a blog to participate. You can link up reviews from Amazon, Goodreads, etc., or leave your remarks in the comments.
- Reviews are encouraged, but not necessary.
- There will be a headquarters page for linking up reviews if you write them.
- Choose your point level. You can always aim for a higher point level, but you can't move to a lower one.
- 3 points for a Newbery Medal Winner
- 2 points for a Newbery Honor Book
- 1 point for a Caldecott Medal Winner or Honor Book
- L'Engle: 15 - 29 points
- Spinelli: 30 - 44 points
- Avi: 45 - 59 points
- Lowry: 60 - 74 points
- Konigsburg: 75+ points
See my original blog post about the challenge HERE.
See the challenge announcement/sign-up page HERE.
See the review headquarters page HERE.
See the page for wrap-ups HERE.
MY READING LIST (books I've read, with links to reviews):
- The Garden of Abdul Gasazi. Chris Van Allsburg; illus. by author (Caldecott Honor, 1980) / 1 point
- Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night. Joyce Sidman; illus. by Rick Allen (Newbery Honor 2011) / 2 points
- Time of Wonder. Robert McCloskey; illus. by author (Caldecott Medal 1958) / 1 point
- Million of Cats. Wanda Gág; illus. by author (Newbery Honor 1929) / 2 points
POSSIBLE CHOICES: Newbery Winners (3 points each)
- Dead End in Norvelt. Jack Gantos (2012)
- The Door in the Wall. Marguerite De Angeli (1950)
- Ginger Pye. Eleanor Estes (1952)
- Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village. Laura Amy Schlitz (2008)
- The Higher Power of Lucky. Susan Patron (2007)
- Hitty, Her First Hundred Years. Rachel Field (1930)
- Miracles on Maple Hill. Virginia Sorensen (1957)
- Miss Hickory. Carolyn Sherwin Bailey (1947)
- Roller Skates. Ruth Sawyer (1937)
- Strawberry Girl. Lois Lenski (1946)
- Thimble Summer. Elizabeth Enright (1939)
- The Trumpeter of Krakow. Eric P. Kelly (1929)
- The View from Saturday. E.L. Konigsburg (1997)
- The Westing Game. Ellen Raskin (1979)
- The Wheel on the School. Meindert De Jong (1955)
- When You Reach Me. Rebecca Stead (2010)
- The Witch of Blackbird Pond. Elizabeth George Speare (1959)
- Young Fu of the Upper Yangtze. Elizabeth Lewis (1933)
POSSIBLE CHOICES: Newbery Honor Books (2 points each)
- Afternoon of the Elves. Janet Taylor Lisle (1990)
- Black Fox of Lorne. Marguerite De Angeli (1957)
- By the Shores of Silver Lake. Laura Ingalls Wilder (1940)
- The Cricket in Times Square. George Selden (1961)
- Doll Bones. Holly Black (2013; 2014 Honor)
- Ella Enchanted. Gail Carson Levine (1997; 1998 Honor)
- Feathers. Jacqueline Woodson (2008)
- The Golden Name Day. Jennie Lindquist (1956)
- Gone-Away Lake. Elizabeth Enright (1958)
- The Headless Cupid. Zilpha Keatley Snyder (1972)
- The Light at Tern Rock. Julia Sauer (1952)
- Little Town on the Prairie. Laura Ingalls Wilder (1942)
- The Long Winter. Laura Ingalls Wilder (1941)
- Millions of Cats. Wanda Gág (1929)
- The Moorchild. Eloise McGraw (1997)
- Penny from Heaven. Jennifer L. Holm (2007)
- Ramona and Her Father. Beverly Cleary (1978)
- Splendors and Glooms. Laura Amy Schlitz (2012; 2013 Honor)
- Surviving the Applewhites. Stephanie S. Tolan (2003)
- These Happy Golden Years. Laura Ingalls Wilder (1944)
- Three Times Lucky. Sheila Turnage (2013)
- The Witches of Worm. Zilpha Keatley Snyder (1973)
POSSIBLE CHOICES: Caldecott Winners (1 point each)
- Cinderella, or the Little Glass Slipper. Marcia Brown (1954; 1955 winner)
- The Egg Tree. Katherine Milhous (1950; 1951 winner)
- The Funny Little Woman. Arlene Mosel; illus. by Blair Lent (1972; 1973 winner)
- Golem. David Wisniewski (1996; 1997 winner)
- The Invention of Hugo Cabret. Brian Selznick (2007; 2008 winner)
- Many Moons. James Thurber; illus. by Louis Slobodkin (1943; 1944 winner)
- Owl Moon. Jane Yolen; illus. by John Schoenherr (1987; 1988 winner)
- Sylvester and the Magic Pebble. William Steig (1969; 1970 winner)
- This is Not My Hat. Jon Klassen (2012; 2013 winner)
- Time of Wonder. Robert McCloskey (1957; 1958 winner)
POSSIBLE CHOICES: Caldecott Honor Books (1 point each)
- Blueberries for Sal. Robert McCloskey (1949)
- Extra Yarn. Mac Barnett; illus. by Jon Klassen (2012; 2013 Honor)
- Flora and the Flamingo. Molly Idle (2013; 2014 Honor)
- In the Night Kitchen. Maurice Sendak (1971)
- The Most Wonderful Doll in the World. Phyllis McGinley; illus. by Helen Stone (1950; 1951 Honor)
- Sam and Dave Dig a Hole. Mac Barnett; illus. by Jon Klassen (2014; 2015 Honor)